Thursday, October 4, 2012

Blog Post #6

Randy Pausch
Randy Pausch’s Last Lecture
In the video, ”Randy Pausch’s Last Lecture”, I learned some valuable lessons that I can use in my classroom. When I become a teacher, I need to have a positive attitude. Not only towards the students, but also people who are giving me constructive criticism. I should take to heart and express to my students that we should listen to people who critique us. The people who give us constructive criticism, do it because they care. I will try to be earnest and listen to a "feedback loop", which are suggestions that others may have.

We all will come to “brick walls” in life. "Brick walls" are there for us to realize how much we want something. I need to teach my students that when we come to a brick wall, figure out a way around it or over it to proceed with our goals in mind. I need to be a leader and work hard. Randy mentioned that teachers need to learn how to "head fake" students. This is while teaching students one thing, they do not realize that they are learning something completely different. Sometimes they might think that they are merely having fun.

I will try to not get into an argument with a student. There are ways to tell a student they are wrong in a nice way. I need to motivate my students when showing them how they are wrong, by using different words. There is a good and bad ways to say, “I don’t know”. Sometimes it's not what you say, it's the way you say it that matters most. When I don’t know an answer to a question, I can offer to help them find the answer. As a teacher, if I am wrong about something, I am human and should admit my mistakes. Loyalty is a two way street and I need to be loyal to my students as they should be to me.

As a teacher I will need to encourage children to think about their goal and dreams they may have. I can give them projects to work as team mates and spark their interest. Being a teacher I need to set the bar of expectation high and the children will hopefully to achieve the standards I set. If you are patient enough with a student and believe in them, they will soon impress you. I need to look for the best in everyone and focus on the good not the bad. When my students do projects or something worth sharing, I need to share it with many. The classroom as a whole needs to bond with one another.

Randy mentioned using a video game technology to teach students. Making learning fun is a positive way of teaching. As a teacher I also need to help students have fun when they are learning something hard. I need to listen to my student’s ideas they may have and learn from them. I need to have fun and help others. I will pay attention to what my students do and not just to what they say.

My reaction to this video is that I am sad that this was his last lecture. Although it was his last one, he went out with an awesome lecture. He made some very valuable statements that I hope to use when I become a teacher.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you found the video useful. It is a powerful statement.

    Thorough, Thoughtful, Well Done!

    ReplyDelete